Our History

Quinn Chapel is rich in history. Prior to the passage of the Emancipation Proclamation, Quinn played an important part in the abolition movement in Chicago and served as a station for the Underground Railroad. While proud of Quinn’s heritage, the members of Quinn Chapel prayerfully continue to do the Lord’s work, to praise His name, and honor the past.

Church Milestones

  • 1844

    Quinn Chapel began as a seven member prayer band
  • July 22, 1847

    Quinn Chapel became an official part of the AME church
  • 1871

    Original church was destroyed by the Great Chicago Fire
  • 1891

    Church was moved to present location at 2401 South Wabash
  • September 4, 1979

    Church added to the National Register of Historic Places
  • September 2007

    Quinn Chapel donated an original pew to the Smithsonian institute national museum of African American history and culture
TOP